Enter this preserve on a short boardwalk over a wetland, then go uphill and downhill, traversing a wetland forest, an upland forest, an area of forested floodplain of the Elkhart River called The Spreads and a brushy section of sedge meadow.
Land donor Lloyd W. Bender purchased the property in 1924 to protect the woodland from “axe and saw.” Because he felt strongly about the need to conserve natural resources and wildlife for future generations to enjoy, he donated the land to ACRES in 1966 to ensure its permanent protection.
The variety of habitats at this preserve is matched by the variety of trees, birds and wildflowers. There are burr oaks, white oaks, hickories, swamp white oaks, red elms, black willows, cottonwoods and red maples. Plants include royal and cinnamon fern.