ACRES’ land lovers have enjoyed a long history of birding. You can join the fun with Bird Blitz! Do you recognize any of these ACRES birders? See the bottom of our post for a photo caption note.
You’re invited to participate in the ACRES Bird Blitz!
What’s a Bird Blitz and how can you join?
- You can help count birds, either as an individual or on a team, on ACRES preserves
- If you participate, you’ll be invited to a celebratory wrap-up party at the end of the count day
- Registered participants will receive a limited edition commemorative Bird Blitz novelty t-shirt by Yonder Clothing Co.
- You can also participate by pledging support for bird blitzers
Saturday, June 3, 12 am – 6 pm
Final tally and after-party for bird counters begins at 6:30 pm.
On an ACRES preserve(s) of your choosing. Our celebratory after-party takes place at the Tom and Jane Dustin Nature Preserve, 1802 Chapman Road, Huntertown, IN 46748.
Land-lovers appreciate ACRES properties in unique and varied ways. Some hike while others take photos, create art, or simply take comfort knowing these special places exist.
Participating in the new ACRES Bird Blitz is one more way to experience your favorite preserve. You can count birds as an individual or put together a team of your friends and family. If counting isn’t your thing, cheer on those counting by making a pledge per species identified.
You can register to help count birds on your own, or on a team at a preserve you choose.
You can also participate by making a pledge in support of bird counters.
Join us for an after-party to celebrate your hard work! Report your final tallies, learn who spotted that elusive Green-tailed Towhee and enjoy a meal with your fellow ACRES supporters. Door prize drawing that night!
- $5 per person registration fee. $25 for a team of 6.
- Registration fee includes a t-shirt and meal.
- Registration and payment due Friday, May 5.
- Register yourself online HERE.
- Register your team online HERE.
Bird Blitz Pledgers
Join the fun by supporting Bird Blitz Counters.
- Your pledge protects land.
- You will be notified of our success and your pledge total after the event.
- Pledge online HERE.
Why a Bird Blitz instead of a Bird-a-Thon?
A Bird Blitz will engage as many of you as possible on the land you protect together. A bird-a-thon is a formal count with strict rules for who counts and where.
Thank you for making Bird Blitz count!
Please contact Heather Barth with questions: 260-637-2273, ext. 5 or [email protected].
[Photo caption note: On the left, in a white hat, is Helen Swenson, avid birder, naturalist, artist, designer and donor of ACRES’ Wing Haven nature preserve near Angola. She and husband Ben were the first inn keepers at the Potawatomi Inn at Pokagon State Park and later operated the Wing Haven Resort across from what is now the Wing Haven preserve. ACRES co-founder, Jane Dustin is third from left in the foreground. From the ACRES archive.]